Traditionally marrow has always been stuffed with minced meat. Living in a camper van makes storing too much meat difficult. The fridges usually come with very small freezer compartments. As a result, Nik and I choose to eat mainly vegetarian food. This Vegetarian Stuffed Marrow not only tastes good, it looks good too.
To make the Vegetarian Stuffed Marrow suitable for vegans, simply use vegan cheese.
Oven 180°C, Gas 4
1/2 medium marrow
1 medium to small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
300g cherry tomatoes, quartered
Handful of chopped greens, spinach or chard
50g grated Cheddar Cheese, More if you really like cheese
Pinch of Chilli flakes or more if you like it hot (optional)/salt/pepper to taste
- De-seed the marrow. Do not remove outer skin. Rub with oil and cook in pre-heated oven for 20-30 minutes, depending on size, until cooked.
- While that’s cooking. Heat a drop of olive oil in a pan and add the onion.Gently cook for about 10 minutes. Until softened.
- Add the yellow pepper and garlic and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Mix in the tomatoes, chilli flakes and seasoning, keeping the heat low cover with a lid and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Mix in chopped greens, spinach or chard, leave for a couple of minutes.
- Fill your marrow half with the contents of the pan and cover with grated cheese.
- Cook in the oven for a further 20 minutes before serving.
We find this meal the perfect size with no need to add potatoes or pasta.
For more camper van recipes click HERE