We set up ontourwithdaisy.co.uk not just to share our travels in a campervan, but also, to share every aspect of living in one. We live in one, as a result, we know how difficult it can be to come up with fresh new ideas for cooking in the confined space that is camper living, Nik and I have decided to start sharing some of our favourite recipes here too. Most of the meals will be vegetarian or pescetarian (with fish) because that tends to be our preferred food. However, most of these meals would go well with a side dish of meat or simply mixed in when cooking if that’s your preference.
Hopefully, you will get some enjoyment out of it. Today we’re going to start with a Roast Vegetable Lasagne. Because this delicious vegetarian dish is one of our favourites. The best thing about this meal is that it can be prepared in the morning and stored in the fridge, or cooked the day before and fr0.ozen, so that when you come back after a long tiring day of exploring, all you have to do is pop it in the oven.
I do cheat and buy ready made tomato sauce because it is so much easier. You can also buy jarred white sauce. You will need about 500g, if you prefer not to make that too.
Oven 200°c, 180°c fan, gas mark 6
Oven proof dish around 6½ inches by 8½ inches wide and roughly 2 inches deep
15g plain flour
8 tbsp olive oil
1/2 aubergine – sliced
1/2 courgette – chopped into 2cm chunks
1 stick celery – chopped into 2cm chunks
1 red onion – quartered
1 yellow pepper – de-seeded, and cut into 2cm chunks
4 chestnut mushrooms – sliced
6 cherry tomatoes – halved
125g cheddar/vegetarian cheese
500g Jar Red Lasagne Sauce
6 lasagne sheets
- Toss the aubergine, courgettes, celery, onion, pepper and mushrooms in olive oil and seasoning and layout into a roasting tray. Roast for 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Whilst the veg is roasting prepare the white sauce. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan on a low heat then add the flour and stir into a paste. Slowly add in milk, stirring constantly to make a smooth sauce. Set aside for later.
- Reduce the oven to 180°c, 160°c fan, gas 4. Rub a small amount of olive oil around the edge of a small oven dish and arrange a layer of the vegetables in the bottom, cover with half of the tomato sauce then add a layer of lasagne sheets and cover with half the white sauce. And repeat.
- Finish by arranging the tomato halves on the top and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes and the top is golden brown and serve with salad or crusty bread.
For more tasty recipes click HERE