Security, King's College, Cambridge

Cambridge for ten days

Our son Lawrence had to have an operation at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge. Serena had to stay at home with the girls, they couldn’t take 10 days off school as Marisa had exams. We left home at 7 am a very grey day in Bude. The weather got worse as we went along. It was really awful by Barnstaple, heavy rain and really windy. I struggled to keep the van heading in a straight line. We arrived at Cherry Hinton Caravan Club site at 2 pm to a fairly nice site. Very practical for Addenbrookes.

1st May 2012.
We were up at 5.30am to get Lawrence to the hospital for 7 am. He’s first down so back at the van for 9.30am. I could not concentrate on anything waiting for the hospital to ring. No news by 1 pm so I rang them. Lawrence was out of surgery and awake so I went in to see him. He was completely spaced out and sleepy so I didn’t stay for long. Vincent rang at 4 pm to say he had arrived. So  I went back to the hospital to pick him up. Went in to see Lawrence. He was much more awake. back to the van, I have walked 10 miles today to and from the hospital.

2nd May 2012.
Up at 7.45. Vince and I went for a walk to Cherry Hinton Village to check bus times for him to go home later. Had a wander around the nature reserve in the old chalk quarry. Then went in to see Lawrence, he was looking really good. Back to the van for tea and then took Vince to the bus stop. Filled the water tank up.

3rd May 2012.
Another grey day. Went into Cambridge for a look around and to get my bearings. So that when the weather is nice I know where I’m going. Went to see Lawrence in the afternoon he is in good spirits.

St Johns College , Cambridge, UK
St Johns College, Cambridge, UK

5th May 2012.
I got up early as the weather forecast said it would be the best chance of a nice day and went into Cambridge at 8.45 am. The sun was shining a little but it didn’t last long. I had a good walk around and got a few photos at last. I had a bratwurst from a stall at the market, it was the best bratty I’ve had since leaving Germany. Walked miles, now worn out. Went in to see Lawrence, he’s really happy as they have allowed him tea to drink. No food yet.

6th May 2012.
The day was grey again, so stayed in reading. Popped into Cherry Hinton to get some bread and bought a fish pie for dinner. I couldn’t resist it. Went in to see Lawrence, he was asleep so I had a cheeseburger at the Burger King at the hospital. Back up the stairs to see Lawrence, he was allowed milkshake today which he was really looking forward to. But it made him sick. I left him having soup for tea. Walking back from the hospital there was a bi-plane flying around overhead. Shame I didn’t have my camera.

7th May 2012.
Woke up to a bit of blue sky so I went for a long walk, 8 miles, the blue sky didn’t last long. The last couple of miles in the rain, but it was nice to have a good walk and I got a few good photos. I went in to see Lawrence. It rained all the way in. Lawrence’s friend had come to see him, it was good for him to have someone else visiting him. Walked back in the sunshine I hope it last till tomorrow. Walked 11 miles today and my legs feel it. I tried to get a picture of the red-legged Partridge that I keep seeing on the site but it flew away before I could get it, saw a deer in the woods too.

Red-Legged Partridge, Alectoris rufa
Red-Legged Partridge, Alectoris rufa

8th May 2012.
Woke to very grey skies it looked like rain so stayed in all day reading. Went in to see Lawrence in the afternoon, he’s recovering well.

9th May 2012
Went into Cambridge to get some paint for Marisa’s art GCSE exam. Had a walk around to try and get some pictures as it could be the last chance. It started raining at 12.30pm so I caught the bus back to the van. Finally got a photo of the elusive bird so I am pleased with that. I thought it wouldn’t happen. It rained on and off for the rest of the day. I went into see Lawrence. Hopefully, he’s being released tomorrow. Picked up a Chinese takeaway on my way back to treat myself. It wasn’t very nice and made me feel ill.

10th May 2012.
Lawrence has been released so I picked him up from outside the hospital and then a gentle drive home.

For more about Cambridge click HERE

One thought on “Cambridge for ten days

  1. I like what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and exposure! Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve included you guys to blogroll.

Leave a Reply