Bridgnorth is situated on the Severn Valley. Once one of the busiest river ports in Europe the river Severn divides the town into ‘High town’ and ‘Low Town’ and the two are linked by a Victorian Funicular Cliff Railway (a cable railway in which a cable attached to a pair of vehicles on rails moves them up and down a steep slope, the ascending and descending vehicles counterbalancing each other) and seven sets of donkey steps. The railway is the oldest and steepest inland funicular railway.
Within the High Town is Bridgnorth railway station part of the Severn Valley Railway. The ruins of Bridgnorth Castle, built in 1101 and due to damage caused during the English Civil War, the castle leans at a 15 degree angle. During the Civil War, Bridgnorth was one of the Midland’s main Royalist strongholds and in 1642 many Royalist troops were garrisoned there. Cromwell’s Roundheads successfully took the town in 1646 after a three week siege and the castle was demolished.
There are also two churches. St. Mary’s, built in the late 18th century and was designed by Thomas Telford and St. Leonard’s , which was formerly collegiate and Bridgnorth was a Royal Peculiar (a Church of England parish or church exempt from the jurisdiction of the diocese in which it lies and subject to the direct jurisdiction of the monarch), until 1856. It isn’t used for regular worship anymore but has many community uses.
We found it to be a pretty little town with beautiful views from High Town which also has a lovely garden. Nik also had fun at the railway station.